Play a XBOX 360 game with broken disc
My 360 fell off my dresser last night, went vertical, and then to the floor. Luckily the Xbox is fine, but as most people know by now, if you move your Xbox 360 while a disc is spinning in the tray, it leaves a nice round scratch around the disc, leaving it unreadable.
However! You may get lucky! In my case I was only left with a partial, shallow scratch. My game will load, but I can not read from the disc to say, load a multiplayer map.
I solved this by borrowing my friends game, and installing it to the hard drive. I then gave my friend back his game, popped my scratched cd in the tray, and fired up multiplayer. Everything has been working fine so far. Below is a more detailed guide on solving the problem.
- Get another copy of the broken disc
- Pop the good copy into your xbox hard drive
- On the Xbox dashboard (where you would normally launch the game), Press Y
- Select “Install To Hard Drive”
- Wait for Xbox to finish copying the disc to the hard drive
- Pop out the good disc
- Put your scratched disc back in
- Try and launch game
- Give old disc back